Sunday, November 29, 2009

Waiting

(I wrote this Saturday afternoon, posted it, then took it down so as not to steal anyone's thunder....reposting it today.)

After receiving several different phone calls at various odd hours of the day and night the past few weeks, I finally got THE ONE that I was expecting each of those times this morning -- in the form of a text so as not to wake the entire family. It seems that during the night, as I tossed and turned for some reason I have yet to figure out, wishing to go to sleep, my niece was also awake 300 miles away timing contractions. Perhaps on some subconscious level I was having sympathy discomfort, because try as I might, I could not relax and drift off until sometime after 3:00 a.m. The text came as I poured myself some coffee, trying to jumpstart my groggy self. My sister and her husband were on their way and hoped to arrive before their much-awaited grandson. By my estimation, they completed the journey within the past hour or so and I have yet to receive an update! So as my family and I have dragged from the attic our Christmas tree and decorations, fussed with the lights, gave up on several strands and gone out to buy more, put them on the tree along with some shimmery golden ribbon, and put up about half the ornaments (while pausing every now and then to laugh at the movie Elf which provided the ambience for our Christmas decorating), part of my consciousness has been straining to hear the phone ring or the signal telling me I have a new text message. It's starting to wear me out! Getting lunch and eating together and now typing this new post has been somewhat of a distraction...but I am about to give in and call for an update myself. Maybe I should ask Santa for some patience for Christmas! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! :-)